Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crying Girl print

Here's another vintage print I picked up at the Sebas Salvos some time ago, a "Crying Girl" by Bragolin. These prints always disturbed me a little as a kid, and I have wondered since what kind of people made these pictures of traumatized children so popular in the first place(?!). However at $5 I couldn't pass up this classic piece of vintage kitsch, even if it's not something I'd put on my own wall. This is only one of a series of crying boys and girls by the same artist, and interestingly in the UK there's an urban myth that the prints are cursed.

5 comments:

  1. i have a fond spot for these kitsch prints now, but too was disturbed by them as a kid. in fact, i have this repeat nightmare, where my childhood home has a hidden section that i discover, which consists of room upon room of pastel painted walls adorned with many of these prints, and no furniture other then beds with terry-toweling bedspreads. no one visit that part of the house in the nightmare, and it had been boarded up because everyone believed it cursed by the wall 'art'...

    ..anyway..hopefully you enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment MFV, that recurring nightmare of yours sounds really creepy! Not that I ever liked them, but I'll definitely now not be buying any terry-toweling bedspreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this crying girl hanging in my Nana's lounge room along with a little boy. They always scared me too and I remember being told that they were orphans and that's why they were crying. Nightmares and curses- these prints are not nicely taken Circa62 - beware!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Countess, she currently lives in the spare room with a stack of other vintage prints leaning against the wall. Hopefully she can't cause any mischief there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sold the 'Crying Boy' from the shop, and I had an overwhelming feeling of relief after that picture left the building, maybe 'cos it was so sad? Maybe it was THE CURSE ooohhhh, don't you just love a good urban myth?

    Thanks for popping in last week (or was it this week?) still not enough guy stock to speak of, but working on it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...