Tuesday, September 29, 2009

An old friend finally retires

Given to me brand new in 1983 for my 21st birthday, my reliable old 26 inch AWA Thorn Colour TV has finally been retired. Although still working fine, the ravages of time had taken their toll. The stunning plastic imitation woodgrain veneer started to lift from the chipboard cabinet within the first 10 years, and the channel selector knob fell victim to the rough and tumble of family life (kids!). By the early 2000s it was apparent no amount of sticky tape and blu-tack was going to keep the curling veneer in place, so I peeled it all off and gave the cabinet a few coats of "monitor style" coal grey. Surviving more than 2 decades, a family and 4 house moves, the poor old thing has finally been overtaken by picture aspect ratio changes and the impending switch to Digital TV.

So here's my tribute to you dear old TV, thanks for your 26 years of faithful service. I only hope my new LCD TV can last even half as long as you.


Trivia: With only a single coax aerial input and no RCA jacks it was a challenge using this old CRT TV with modern devices. The suitably 80's picture of Madonna appears on screen thanks to a DVD player connected via an RF Video Modulator from DSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...