Thursday, September 3, 2009

A tribute to Joyce

Driving home last night I was surprised and saddened to see Joyce’s Junkatique in Main Road draped with black balloons, streamers and floral tributes. A true Ballarat Icon of second hand treasures and collecting has left us.

I came to know Joyce though my Mother and Auntie’s avid op-shopping expeditions (which I had no choice but to join from a young age during school holidays). Since the late 70’s I’ve been an occasional regular, seeking her assistance in the search for many an odd item for High School and Uni dress up days, costume parties, and on into adulthood as a collector in general. Always cheerful and happy to help, she will be fondly remembered.

Picture from the Ballarat Courier, 02/09/2009.

A nice example of how well regarded she was is Schmookie's post about Joyce’s Exhibition at the Learmonth Art Hall in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...